Thursday, January 1, 2009

A New Year, A Time to Reflect

Happy New Year to you all!

Most people see the New Year as an end to the old and a start to the new. They see it as a time to make resolutions of what they want to accomplish in the New Year. Well statistics show that about 50% of people make resolutions but only about 8% actually keep them. 24% of people fail every year to keep the resolutions they have made. I have wondered if we make them with the best intentions of keeping them. Or because it just sounds good to say these things at the start of the New Year. Or if we say them but deep down have no intention of doing anything to acheive them. For instance, saying that you are going to work out and get in shape but never once in the year go out and exercise or join a gym. What is the point of making a resolution that you will not keep?

So this year I will not make a resolution, or even think of the New Year as an end to the old and a start to the new. Instead I will look back on this last year and count the many ways that God has blessed me.

My Husband - He loves me no matter what, he has always stuck by my side, he tells me no when I need to hear it (even if I don't want to hear it), he is my friend, he makes me want to be better than I am, he is an awsome Dad who desires to be apart of every aspect of his kids lives. (I could go on and on)

My Kids - As I was approching 30 and we still did not have kids part of me wanted to give up that it would ever happen. But I knew that God had put that desire in my heart for a reason but it had to be the right time. As I look back now, we weren't ready for kids then and this is the best time for us. God knew what was best for us. It was a long, hard wait...but it was worth it. I feel that I appreciate my kids even more because of it.

My Family - I am blessed to have most of my family nearby. I love my family very much. No they are not perfect, but none of us are. My family loves me. And not because of what I do or what I have. I do not need to put on a show for them.

My Friends - I have the best friends in the world! I know that may seem like a clishe statement but to me they truly are. I love just being around them. We can be silly, serious, happy or sad together. It doesn't matter what is going on in my life. My friends are always a part of it. One thing that means the most to me is that they are "truth tellers". They give me good advise, they are there for me to lean on, they tell me what I need to hear, not what I want to hear. When something good happens, I can't wait to tell them. When something bad happens, they are the ones I run to. They cry when I cry, they rejoice when I rejoice. I couldn't have asked for better friends. The Lord really knew what he was doing when he brought us together. And I am thankful every day for them!! I love you guys!!

My Health - Yes I know that this may be a strange one to be thankful for concidering the diabetes. However if I had not been diagnosed, I wouldn't have gotten my sugars under control. I wouldn't have lost weight. And I wouldn't have been in the place I needed to be to get pregnant with Jaden. It made me reevaulate what was going on and how I was taking care of myself. It has not been easy. And yes I wish I could go back to not having to think about it on a daily basis. But what challenges us makes us stronger. I will continue to push forward.

My House - I am blessed to have a roof over our heads and that Seann has a job that will allow us to have a house. And that allows me to be able to be home with the kids and not have to work outside the home. I see many people around us struggling and losing their homes, etc. We may not have excess but the Lord has taken care of our needs. Yes I do want a bigger house and I am believing that it will happen. But it will happen in God's timing and not mine. I will continue to trust in Him to guide us and provide for us.

These are just a few things that I am blessed with. The Lord has greatly blessed me in this last year. From the little things to the big things. For each one I am thankful. With this New Year I want to continue to look at all the blessings in my life and not dwell on the hard things or the negative things. I have been so greatly blessed that it outweighs those things.

Most of all I am blessed to say that: I am a daughter of the King. How humbled and blessed I am to know that He sent Jesus to die for my sins. I do not deserve it but I am so thankful. He knew all my days before they were even begun. He knew the good and the bad things I would do. He knew the sins I would make. And still He loved me enough to send Christ. Just for me. So that I could be with him forever. I pray that I never take that for granted. For that is the greatest blessing!

Happy New Year to you all! Please take a moment and look back at the last year of your life and count your many blessings. From the big to the small. I think that you will be truly greatful for the many ways that you have been blessed this last year.

No comments: